An interesting and busy week is gradually drawing to a close as the weekend approaches and if you saw TV3 News last night you will have seen Cheeseman featuring. The snow began falling again on Sunday night and continued off and on in the earlier stages of the week slowly clearing on Tuesday. New snow and warming temperatures on Tuesday meant we had to close the road and ski area around 2pm on Tuesday to carry out some control work. Several spectacular avalanches were set off by Patrol after ski cutting the road shoots and it was deemed un-safe to open the road. About 40 daytrippers were left stranded on the mountain and had to spend an exciting night camping out in the Daylodge as Snowline was full with ski week guests. The staff did an excellent job feeding everyone and making there stay as comfortable as possible and everyone left the next day happy but perhaps a little tired! Check out the TV3 News video clip here.
The weather for this weekend almost mirrors that of last weekend with Saturday looking good and more snow heading our way on Sunday. A couple of events are planned this weekend with Day 2 of Club Champs on Saturday and Primary Intermediate races on Sunday – see below for further details and weather update.
September and Spring are rapidly approaching so we hope you will make the most of the warmer weather and longer days on the mountain. As normal we will be running the tows a little later on selected weekend days when the weather is good and we have accommodation available at Snowline on all the Spring weeks.
Day 1 of the Club Champs was run last Saturday but weather did not permit us to run day 2 on the Sunday so it was decided to postpone day 2 until this coming Saturday.
The weather for Saturday is looking good so its all go and the race format will be as follows:
10:00 am – Slalom
1:00pm – Giant Slalom
Registrations will be in the Daylodge from 9am on both days.
Once again Cheeseman is proudly hosting this annual event and the snow gods have certainly delivered plenty of snow in recent days which means we can set-up an excellent course.
The event is scheduled for this coming Sunday (19th August) however the weather is looking to deteriorate late Saturday and turn into snow on Sunday with some wind so we are currently monitoring the weather system closely and will be in a position to advise on whether the race will go ahead by Friday Midday. Should the race not go ahead this Sunday the cancellation date is Sunday 26th August.
Please keep an eye on the website homepage for updates tomorrow afternoon regarding this event.
Staying on the mountain at Cheeseman is a special experience. At Snowline Lodge you can ski to the Main T-Bar from the lodge door and at Forest Lodge you are nestled amongst native forest. Enjoy big days on the slopes and relaxing nights in Cheeseman’s cosy lodges. Click here for more information and to book.
With all the new snow Cheeseman slopes are looking awesome and we still have vacancies in some of our premium August Holiday Weeks:
Bookings are also being taken for our Spring Weeks
Click here for more information and to book accommodation.
Here’s a brief list of events coming up over the next couple of weeks:
For a full list of events please click here.
Friday & Saturday are again looking good with snow and wind on Sunday.
Fine, apart from patches of fog or low cloud morning and night.
Wind at 1000 metres: Southwesterly.
Wind at 2000 metres: Southwesterly.
Free air freezing Level: Rising to 1600 metres.
Mostly fine but areas of fog or low cloud morning and evening.
Wind at 1000 metres: Northerly.
Wind at 2000 metres: Northerly 35 km/h.
Free air freezing Level: Rising to 1700 metres.
Heavy rain about the main divide, lighter falls further east. Snow above 1300 metres. Northerlies, gale for a time.
Take a break from work and come and see us at Cheeseman – winners of the Snowco Small Ski Area Service Award 2007, 2008, 2010 & 2011
Cam & The Cheeseman Team.Published on Thursday, August 16th, 2012, under News